Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Challenges

What I know right now about my trip to Costa:
-I know I am rooming with girls named Vanessa Voth and Carley Harrison from OSU. We are living at the receptionist from our school Blue Valley's house.
-My school-Blue Valley-is located west of San Jose.
-I am teaching (in english) 1st grade to students who speak Spanish
-I leave January 31st and get back May 1st.

Yep...that is all I know. No matter what way I look at this adventure I am about to take on, there is another challenge surrounding it. The challenges:
-"Ticos" or "Ticas" (Costa Rica people) speak Spanish...Do I know Spanish? Yes, I know the colors and I think numbers 1-10. I took French for 5 years of my life. Bonjour!
-1st grade...I want to teach Middle School, they have problems and are in the "punk" stages..I LOVE IT!! 1st grade..do they still wet their pants?
-People I am going with.. I don't know them well but I know they are awesome.
-The distance: I have been dating the love of my life-Travis- for over 2 years, we deal with long distance, but now its not an easy pick up the phone to have our quality time for the day.. My family and I are really close,I know that I will miss them a ton. My friends are experiencing their last hurah together this semester in Stillwater..

This will definitely be an adventure worth taking and worth risking. I am so blessed to have this opportunity. The Lord opened several doors for me to go, and I am going because I trust Him and feel His peace.
-

4 comments:

  1. Tricia, we are so excited for you to have this opportunity. It will be great to see you overcome the challanges and become a stronger, wiser person because of them. And I'm sure you will find a way to have a really good time in the process. We'll be checking your blog regularly and look forward to hearing all about it! Love you lots, Juli & Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about this blog!!!! Yahoo! Thanks for keeping us updated Trish! I laughed out loud while reading this :-) and I know there will be some great stories to come!

    (oh and from my experience with my first grade campers these past two summers... I had several "wet pants"... just a heads up haha! but you will LOVE this age... so many hugs!!!)

    Love you! ~Lib

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you, Trish! Will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a big step of faith. I can't wait to hear more about it...i think you're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete