Sunday, January 31, 2010

The first day..

Today was the first day in Costa Rica. On the plane ride I had so many emotions. I had many questions going through my head like ,"How did I get here? Why am I here? I am definitely alone..wait no, God has me where He wants me..I am excited! Wait this is a huge step!" And this remained throughout the whole day. One of my first thoughts (which should be a constant thought in America) was "I wonder how many people don't know Christ." It is a roman catholic country, we heard sweet bells from a church near by today..I thought I was in the movie sound of music for a second! Its been an emotional and physically long and draining day. We have two sponsor professors with us to help us out and that has made the transition so much easier.
Some Spanish words I learned:
que-huh? what?
como-say it again?
puertos-gate
vino-wine
damas-girls
Thanks to the Francis family for my Dora the Explorer coloring book. One of the only things I understood in Spanish on the plane was a little girl say "spanish spanish DoRa the ExploRa spanish spanish.." I am so fluent..
The people here definitely stare you down, I have never felt so out in the open and obvious to the whole world.

Funny to me spanish story: I tried to ask for bottled water at the bar/restaurant to the bartender and said Aqua, and did a twisty motion with my hand on my fruit bottle and he got some tap water and tried to put it in my fruit drink, then i said no no no, bottle, and then he got a glass with tap and handed it to me, and I said no no no bottle pointing again, he goes, "oh ice!!" It was frustrating..

Thanks for reading!
Que te vaya bien!

2 comments:

  1. Tricia Bueanos Dias!
    Your Uncle Bob knows exactly what you are feeling and experiencing! I have been there in Moscow & Gudalajara! You will find that you will pick up Spanish or enough of it to get yourself around.

    Learn directions first (Left, Right Straight)and always be looking or following where you are going so you can find your way home again and back there if need be. Look for land marks watch for things to recognize when you make turns or entering an area you are not familiar with.

    I will check in on you from time to time I have your site in my favorites now.

    I will keep you in my prayers, please make a journal, take pictures write down names and email addresses, I have so many friends from Russia and Mexico I still am in contact with today, they are some of my best friends today.

    La Quinta Por Favor! - Check Please
    Lento - Slow
    Lentamente - slowly
    Ice - hielo H is silent sounds like ello

    http://www.spanishdict.com/translation

    Love you Tricia, God will guide and protect you and provide you with all the provision you will need.

    Like Pappa Bob used to say" Don't get your Doober Down! Keep Your Chin Up & Hang in There and Pitch!

    Love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck! (Mammo Lippert) Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tricia! Praying for you today. What an awesome chance you're getting to make a difference!

    Love, Aunt Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete